Nothing wrong with the classic Czech tool -- it gets the job done. I do not like pipe nails because they have no pick; sometimes a bit of tobacco gets caught in the draught hole and needs to be picked out. My personal favorite tampers are the 8deco ones. They look nifty, have a pick, and aren't too expensive. i have several.
98% of the time I use a Brebbia pipe nail. The other 2% is whatever is handy and will get the job done. I’ve several fancy tampers that came with pipe purchases but I can’t bring myself to use them. Maybe one of these days.
May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.
I have two tampers next to the chair in my garage. One is a pipe nail, that is only used for cleaning out ash at the end of the smoke.
I turned my main tamper from sassafras. I was very impressed with the beauty of the wood, the excellence of the turning and sanding, the clean cut to remove the tamper from the lathe. . . DANG IT! I forgot to apply any finish!
Yes, artisans use their mistakes. I take pleasure in using my work. Alas, the scent of the sassafras has worn off.
I can’t say that I have a preference, but more often than not, I just pick up a Czech tool. I recently picked up a lotus pipe lighter with a couple tools that swing out from the base. It is nice to have both lighter and tools in the same unit.
I had a fancy antique tamper made by Solingen that I lost, fancy tampers are best left at home.
"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose."~Sir Adrian
My index finger... my middle one if the tobacco is really pissing me off.
"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."
Post by just ol ed on Dec 13, 2020 10:11:34 GMT -5
a few pipe "nails" laying around here/there but in smoking room where do most of my reading, wooden dowling. Cut two widths 4" long lengths. 1/2" for normal width bowl, 3/4" for my few ridiculous magnum width bowls. gave seen many pretty, expensive ones, my "Murphey's Law" would say I'd lose 'em. The dowels at least 20yrs old, the nails probably older